Presents of Mind blog
At #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM, there’s no such thing as men being hard to buy for.
Our special #mensgiftsday on Twitter to help #planahead for Fathers Day rounded up hundreds of original and thoughtful 'shopindie' gift ideas.
Here’s our very brief snapshot of the indie inspiration (clockwise from top left):
- Does anything go together more than men and trains? These outstanding model train sets inside vintage suitcases are the speciality of first class Warwickshire giftspotters Suitcase Trains
- Men and football also seem to get along 🙂 Prepare your football fan for the Euro 2021 football championships with these international team mascots from handmade arts and crafts store Ooak Gifts
- Property is a big pull for some men and who wouldn’t like to own one of these hand crafted wooden hygge houses from CraftedPlanetUK - where profits go to ethical projects worldwide
- It’s well-known that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach so steamed puddings from the delicious range at Worcestershire's The Pudding Shop could be just the job
- Gardening is made a much more attractive prospect with stunning outdoor decorations and installations like these from Norwich artist Stained Glass Garden Art
- If he’s a man of letters, he’s sure to like these distinctive and easy-to-install letter catchers from Lincolnshire handmade virtuoso CreateEngland (who also did an outstanding job as guest #mensgiftsday co-host, it has to be said)
- Games don’t come much more stylish and striking than these unique slate and pebble board games based on ancient and medieval gaming from the arts and crafts collection of Edinburgh's ElbriCrafts
- It’s a vicious slur that men never consult maps – particularly when they are as intricately drawn up and informative as this nautical map from Durham cartographic artist Manuscript Maps
- Centre – robot desk buddy or home ornament made from recycled vintage items by Manchester steampunk star JunkBotsRobots. He became #UKGiftHourPower seller No171 when he recorded three sales during #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM last Saturday
Join in with UKGiftHour UKGiftAM every Saturday and Sunday morning from 9am-midday – we’re the giftfinder at your fingertips! All welcome.
We often talk about #UKGiftHourPower and you may wonder what goes into it.
One thing is the trending. Our Twitter 'shop indie' and #supportsmallbusiness showcase #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM regularly features in the top five UK trends on a Saturday morning (on Saturday 8 May it reached No3). As an added bonus, the #shopindie hashtag was included in the trending, too.
Another is the number of creatives who take part. Between 600-700 makers take the opportunity to showcase their original and thoughtful gift ideas (over the weekend of 8/9 May it was 629).
Then there’s the number of people it reaches. Statistics showed that over the 8/9 May weekend and preceding week, UKGiftAM registered a potential reach of 22.3 million (source: Talkwalker).
Five more newcomers were enrolled into the UKGiftHourPower sellers list – taking the total number of indies and creatives who have achieved sales during UKGiftAM to 170. There were further sales for established sellers too.
A huge well done and thank you to all the indies, creatives, buyers and browsers who support small business and invest in our amazing 'shop indie' community at this challenging time.
Here’s a selection of the latest gift inspiration that has persuaded buyers to dip into their hard-earned cash (new UKGiftHourPower sellers denoted by an asterisk):
Clockwise from top left:
- Handmade dragon hanger/pocket pal from Lancashire handmade gifts emporium GoodVibeGiftsUK*
- Book sign by Yorkshire wood pyrography wonders Wooden You Love
- Necklace from the quirky range of London’s M2BJewellery*
- ‘We Rise From The Ashes’ pin by Cambridge artist and designer Abi Stevens
- Activity colouring postcards by Lancashire prints and postcards designer Andrea Lemin Design•
- Pure unscented tealights from East Sussex candles and wax melt makers Last Light Candles UK*
- Murano style bowl by Cambridgeshire glass artist Samphire Glass
- Stylish waterproof hats from Hampshire British-made hat specialists Rain Hat Collection*
- Centre: Lidded yarn bowl by Yorkshire wood specialist Davenports Handmade. The item had been claimed at a fair but the prospective buyer never showed up again to make good the deal – but all ended well, it sold shortly after being listed on #UKGiftAM.
We wish we could guarantee sales - but we can guarantee doing all we can to increase the chances. Join in with UKGiftHour UKGiftAM every Saturday and Sunday morning from 9am-midday – everyone is welcome!
It’s second nature to UK indies and creatives to produce imaginative and thoughtful gift ideas.
So give them the theme of #naturegiftsday and you’re guaranteed a bumper yield.
That was certainly the case on the Twitter 'shop indie' showcase #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM at the weekend.
We asked for gift ideas inspired by nature – following up the #ConnectWithNature theme adopted by the Mental Health Foundation during #MentalHealthAwarnessWeek – and frankly, there were scenes. And jewellery. And homeware. And all manner of beauty.
Here are some pickings from the first bloom of what was provided by more than 130 makers. We’ll share more when we get the chance.
Clockwise (from top left):
- Moon at sea coaster sets by Berkshire one witch jewellery and trinket maker PumpkinHillShop
- Cuddly koala bear by nature and animal loving Warwickshire needle felting artist TheCatNeedleFelts
- Cut-paper collage nature artworks by Birmingham illustrator and graphic designer Chris Cowdrill
- Soft pastel painting – ‘Scarlet Fields’ – by nature-inspired Glasgow artist TheWeeOwlStudio
- Hand pressed St Anne’s lace necklace by eco-conscious West Sussex jewellery, gift and card designer EcoOctopus
- Digital outdoor nature party treasure trail game by London education website HelpfulKids – 100% of revenue from sales are pledged to #MentalHealthAwarenessWeek
- Hanging grapevine crochet wreath garland by Yorkshire home décor doyenne EdwardandFluff
- Dandelion seed resin necklace by maker of preserved botanical jewellery and bookmarks BerkshireColesDesign
- Centre – organic, cruelty-free, herb-infused nail therapy oil from New Forest plants and nature champion TheGingerMint
Join in with UKGiftHour UKGiftAM every #SaturdayMorning and #SundayMorning from 9am-midday – we’re the #giftfinder at your fingertips. All welcome!
Many online indies and creatives have spoken of hitting leaner times since shops re-opened as part of lockdown lifting.
But there have been encouraging signs that all is by no means lost on the weekend #supportsmallbusiness Twitter showcase #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM.
Since our last update, six new indies have recorded sales – in the case of Glasgow mental health support coaches Brave Your Day on Saturday, a hat-trick of sales – taking the total number of makers who have sold items during the hashtag hour to 165. The latest #UKGiftHourPower newcomers are identified by an asterisk below.
Another eight makers – already #UKGiftHourPower sellers – have reported further sales. In the case of Derbyshire craft kit czars Krasnaya Crafts on Sunday, another hat-trick. Some of these #giftideas goodies are included in this round-up of what’s been attracting buyers (clockwise from top left):
- ‘Spider Chrysanthemum’ tote bag reclaimed and recycled by Oxfordshire fabrics recreator Fleabagcrafts with materials from a charity shop find
- Celtic pattern ghost wolf chalice decorated with wolf heads and gemstones by spiritual giver Momma Parker *
- Tibetan silver star stitch markers on a fixed silver ring by colourful Liverpool crafter Germander Cottage Crafts * – the first sale on her new website
- Bobble beanie hat with faux fur pompom by Welsh outdoor gift discoverers Adventure Accessories
- Repurposed denim hobo bag with a teal silk lining by Cheshire creator Macclesfield Bag Works *
- Fragranced handmade soy wax melts by Yorkshire family business Northern Delights Wax Melts * (pictured is rose petal)
- Katerina paint your own Russian doll kits from Krasnaya Crafts –including a five-piece blank doll hand-drawn by Matryoshka artists in Russia, pots of paints, a brush and instructions.
- New plantable seed cards that grow into bee-friendly flowers from Gloucestershire artist Yasmin Jones Cards *
- Centre - worry dog doll stress aid care package from Brave Your Day * aimed at children and young people to reduce fear and anxiety. 15% of each sale goes to offsetting counselling fees for girls and women.
We can’t guarantee sales - but we can guarantee doing all we can to increase the chances. Everyone is welcome to join #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM every Saturday and Sunday morning from 9am-midday. We're the giftfinders at your fingertips!
Three more makers were added to the #UKGiftHourPower sellers list after our latest 'support small business' showcase on Twitter at the weekend. This brings the total of creatives who have achieved sales during #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM to 159.
Buyers were clamouring for (clockwise from left – new sellers denoted by asterisk):
- Rainbow bunting and some cut bunny clips from Bath jewellery connoisseur LJHJewellery * – leaving her to praise the lockdown day she took up crochet
- Rose gold heart earrings with gold charm from Cheshire polymer clay virtuoso SlayWithClayShop
- Treble clef pendant from Wiltshire eco-friendly goodies goddess MooseintheMint * – fair to say the sale set off a happy dance
- Not just one but two British bird embroidery pictures from Yorkshire fabric upcycler LittleMissMoffattUK * flew the nest – as well as this charming blue tit portrayal, one of her colourful kingfishers found a new home
We can’t guarantee sales - but we can guarantee doing all we can to increase the chances. Everyone is welcome to join #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday morning from 9am-midday. We’re the giftfinder at your fingertips!
You aren’t signed in to our site right now. Sign in or create an account here for access to 365 days of gift ideas.
Keep up to date with latest tips, offers and inspiration – join our mailing list.
- May 2021 (3 entries)
- April 2021 (1 entry)
- March 2021 (2 entries)
- February 2021 (4 entries)
- January 2021 (1 entry)
- November 2020 (2 entries)
- October 2020 (1 entry)
- August 2020 (2 entries)
- July 2020 (3 entries)
- June 2020 (1 entry)
- May 2020 (1 entry)
- April 2020 (1 entry)
- March 2020 (1 entry)
- February 2020 (3 entries)
- January 2020 (1 entry)
- November 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2019 (2 entries)
- September 2019 (2 entries)
- August 2019 (2 entries)
- July 2019 (2 entries)
- April 2019 (1 entry)
- March 2019 (1 entry)
- February 2019 (3 entries)
- January 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2018 (2 entries)
- September 2018 (4 entries)
- August 2018 (3 entries)
- March 2018 (1 entry)
- February 2018 (3 entries)
- January 2018 (1 entry)
- December 2017 (1 entry)
- November 2017 (2 entries)
- October 2017 (7 entries)
- September 2017 (4 entries)
- August 2017 (2 entries)
- July 2017 (2 entries)
- June 2017 (1 entry)