Presents of Mind blog
Digital prints of afternoon tea themed characters
Exclusive original artwork and products
Artworks and stationery inspired by nature
Artist and mixed media/pebble artist
Eclectic Scottish artist, animal lover and vegan
Original linocuts, greeting cards and paper bunting
Nature inspired pen and ink art
Art and handmade goodies
Artist and needle painter, wildlife and portraits
Photographic and illustrated prints, cards and gifts
Dogs and other cute cuddly things - plus the odd building
Handmade cards, original art
Unique Scottish artwork and homeware for distinctive home living
Illustrations of animals and wildlife
Gift ideas stereotypes were cast aside in a fast and furious #mensgiftsday special on #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM last weekend.
UK indies and creatives treated the ever-popular Twitter marketplace to a surge of lateral thinking with Fathers Day approaching.
More than 90 makers brought thoughtful and original #shopindie #giftideas to the party – and this is just the first review we’re going to make of some of the inspiration on show.
Clockwise (from top left):
- Men like fashion too. . . these quality upcycled cotton scarves are from Durham fashion designer Paloule Scarves "and can be made in any team’s colours," she adds
- Men like jewellery too. . . and Kent jewellery designer Amanda Tamsin Jewellery told us this earth colours glass and wooden bead shamballa bracelet would be a great choice
- Men like pampering too. . . and Devon natural soap, shampoo and lip balm maker Soap & Pamper can offer handcrafted soaps in gift boxes as well as shaving kits
- Men like baking too. . . Worcestershire baking and party suppliers Marvellous Mixes suggested gifting a mix or baking one yourself and gifting the results
- Men like crafting too. . . and Derbyshire craft kit designers and producers Krasnaya Crafts thought this Ozzie Owl needle felting picture kit would provide the ideal opportunity
- Men like cooking too. . . and a spalted hardwood rolling pin from Staffordshire wood artisans Whispers of Wood would offer a handsome helping hand
- Men like accessories too. . . and a large Japanese linen toilet bag featuring retro scooters from Leicestershire bag maker and pattern designer Sew Sofia would be a handy place to park their personal products
- We’re not sure if men like hanging out the washing too. . . but the peg bags from Yorkshire crafter Tykes Boutique are multi-purpose and she also has dashing ranges of handkerchiefs, aprons and boxer shorts
- Centre: Men definitely like their mancaves. . . and they can be spruced up with some of the brightest and boldest handmade lamp shades around from East Sussex lampshade maker Bird and Button
For all these imaginative ideas and more, the #mensgiftsday hashtag on Twitter is still there to scroll through.
Join us for #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday from 9am-noon – there’s always fun, support and a very warm welcome!
We’ve noticed an enterprising #UKLockdown trend of UK indies and creatives offering downloadable #giftideas or #shopindie vouchers.
Downloads, of course, get straight to the heart of doubts over mailing by ensuring direct and immediate delivery of your gift ideas (or isolation activity suggestions).
And buying vouchers is a wonderfully supportive way of helping to keep small business going in tough times like this. For the business, some cash flow is maintained (and a warm feeling that #supportsmallbusiness is not being forgotten). For the buyer, time to choose and plan ahead for when all is a little better with the world.
Here we highlight some of the downloads and vouchers that have featured on #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM since the onset of lockdown:
Clockwise (from top left):
- Gift vouchers for classic car hire valid for 18 months from Wiltshire-based Vintage Classics Car Hire
- E-mailable vouchers for hand-burnt wood items from the online gift shop of Yorkshire’s Wooden You Love
- Gift vouchers for the original and sought-after kitchen and dining knives, boards and stands from Staffordshire wood artisans Whispers of Wood
- Downloadable and personalised milestone heart map gifts – for ‘where we met’, anniversary and all manner of memories – from East of England illustrator LaraKingDraws
- Wall art downloads from specialist London photographers The Picture Studio
- Wildlife and botanical print downloads (this one is a Snakeshead Fritillary) from Buckinghamshire pen and ink artist BeetleStudios
- Printable landscapes available for immediate download from Ipswich digital artist Resplendent Artworks
- Digital gift vouchers with no expiry dates from Northumberland artist, illustrator and map maker Sarah Farooqi
- Centre – downloadable dog art and home and family prints from ‘crazy dog lady’ illustrator lucymeiscribbles
Join us for UKGIftHour UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday from 9am-noon – we’re the shopindie #giftfinder at your fingertips!
More than 50 UK indies and creatives can now call themselves #UKGiftHourPower players!
That’s the number of makers who have achieved sales on #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM since the the Twitter #shopindie showcase began.
A flurry of purchases at the weekend saw the landmark figure reached.
“It’s no mean feat and it could easily be more than that,” said #UKGiftHour creator David Knight. “These figures rely on what feedback we’ve received – many, many more makers could have achieved sales without us knowing.”
Among the latest gift ideas and creatives attracting the call of the ker-ching were (clockwise from top left):
- Handmade sea glass jewellery by west of Scotland lochside designer ArgyllSeaGlass
- Baby keepsake pebble by Manchester creative Pebbles4Thought
- Headband/ear warmer by Hertfordshire slow fashion knitter KnitsandBobsKLR
- Wooden hanging bird house by Aberdeenshire wildlife food friends Hedge Buddies
- Seaglass flower by Fife sea glass and pottery artist fifeseaglass
- Personalised bunnies by London fun and celebration crafter AHeartlyCraft
- Mixed media wildlife artwork by Yorkshire textile artist and designer UniqueByHannah (accompanying card created by purchaser DellaByDesign)
- Handwoven two-tone shawl by weavers and fabrics fashionistas Neith Textiles
- Centre - painting of Firth of Clyde island Ailsa Craig by Glasgow artist Amazingraceart
Armagh garland designer Jasmine and Lily Floral Wreaths, East Sussex jewellery designer MaisyPlum, Sussex woodturner and artist MJAWOOD, Cambridge traditional bookbinder CraftedBooksBySueDay and Shropshire photographer and artist CWPhotoArt have also recently added to their #UKGiftAM sales tallies.
Join us for #UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday from 9am-noon – we’re the #shopindie #giftfinder at your fingertips!
If you recall, we asked UK indies and creatives to demonstrate their eco-friendly gift ideas and practices on Twitter and we were treated to an environmental fiesta.
You can see the first instalment of our review here. Taking the spotlight in part two are (clockwise from top left):
- We unashamedly fell in love immediately with these packaging stickers from Shropshire photographer and artist CWPhotoArt imploring all customers to ‘recycle me please’. “Great to add onto your small biz packaging,” said Charlotte.
- All the packaging used by spellbinding Dorset witch healers and sisters BohoBanshees is recycled and recyclable - “including the bath bomb shrink wrap!” they said. “All our product ingredients are organic and if not homegrown are ethically sourced. We also reuse and upcycle any bits we can.”
- Reclaim, restore and recycle is the mantra of Dorset weaver Former Glory. She placed the ‘for sale soon’ sign on this fully restored pair of oak arts and crafts chairs “probably made by William Birch of High Wycombe late 19th century”.
- East Sussex papercraft maestra Esselle Crafts is “proud to be a zero waste small business, promoting upcycling and sustainability to create gorgeous, unique gift ideas" – such as these instant download papercraft templates.
- Nottingham jewellery designer ponyponyponyjewellery makes all her jewellery with recycled sterling silver. “It has all the same properties but less waste,” she said. “And is still equally shiny.”
- York sewing and stitchwork queen Anita Rose Designs treated us to a display of cotton shopping bags, reusable make-up wipes and these ‘lovely to use’ eco-friendly nautical napkins.
If you’re on Twitter and you’d like to see a full list of the indies and creatives who provided #ecogiftsday gift inspiration, you can find it here.
Join us for #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM on Twitter every weekend from 9am-noon – we’re the #shopindie giftfinder at your fingertips! #supportsmallbusiness
You aren’t signed in to our site right now. Sign in or create an account here for access to 365 days of gift ideas.
Keep up to date with latest tips, offers and inspiration – join our mailing list.
- May 2020 (2 entries)
- April 2020 (1 entry)
- March 2020 (1 entry)
- February 2020 (3 entries)
- January 2020 (1 entry)
- November 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2019 (2 entries)
- September 2019 (2 entries)
- August 2019 (2 entries)
- July 2019 (2 entries)
- April 2019 (1 entry)
- March 2019 (1 entry)
- February 2019 (3 entries)
- January 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2018 (2 entries)
- September 2018 (4 entries)
- August 2018 (3 entries)
- March 2018 (1 entry)
- February 2018 (3 entries)
- January 2018 (1 entry)
- December 2017 (1 entry)
- November 2017 (2 entries)
- October 2017 (7 entries)
- September 2017 (4 entries)
- August 2017 (2 entries)
- July 2017 (2 entries)
- June 2017 (1 entry)