Presents of Mind blog
Maybe it was because mum was the word – but five new UK creative and independent businesses joined the #UKGiftHourPower sellers’ list at the weekend.
That’s now a grand total of 155 makers who have sold gift ideas during or as a result of our Twitter 'shop indie' showcase #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM.
Buyers may have been on the lookout for special Mothers Day gifts with a couple of weeks to go. Or it may have just been another weekend of inability to resist the full-flowing thoughtfulness, originality, humour and quality that our indies and creatives possess.
Here’s what caught buyers’ eyes (the UKGiftHourPower newcomers are marked with an asterisk). Clockwise from top left:
- Hand-sewn rainbow pocket hug - an anxiety-relieving gift from London embroiderer PrettyHopsAndJumps
- Copper bangle with brass heart from Manchester jewellery designers fromtheflameuk*
- ‘Tutti Frutti’ double comb elasticated beaded hair clip from Northamptonshire hair hotshot HairgemShop*
- Bird on blossom watercolour art scarf with matching card from Liverpool illustrator, artist and designer Rebecca Christian
- Turquoise circle stud earrings from modern London fashion jewellery creator ModeLondonStudio* – one of three #UKGiftHourPower sales she rang up
- Purple resin chopping board and knife from Staffordshire wood artisan Whispers Of Wood
- Framed cross-stitch with a message from ‘moderately rebellious’ Co Durham craftivist Thistleflat Crafts*
- 'Coastal Erosion Vessel in teal green' – one of two stoneware designs to ispire #UKGiftAM purchases from Welsh potter and sculptor Tideline Ceramics*
- Centre – hand embroidered mum card from London textile and jewellery designer Caroline Wong Designs
We can’t guarantee sales - but we can guarantee doing all we can to increase the chances. Everyone is welcome to join UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday morning from 9am-midday. We’re the giftfinder at your fingertips!
#UKGiftHourPower sellers are UK creatives and independent businesses who have achieved a sale as a result of posting their makes or products on #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM on Twitter between 9am-midday every weekend.
To be strictly accurate, we know of one who has rung up a sale after posting on the #UKGiftAM Facebook page, too!
The honour of becoming the 150th indie to hear the #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM tills ringing fell to Hertfordshire eco-soy wax candle creators SimplySona.
They take centre stage on this round-up of the latest #giftideas to have been snapped up recently (clockwise from top left):
- Summer flowers coptic stitch notebook by Cambridge bookbinding specialist Handcrafted Books by Sue Day
- Garden birds peg bag – the first sale from her new website – by Essex bags and accessories designer Cosima Crafts
- Hand-picked Welsh produce box by Carmarthen ‘cwtch’ curators Taffybox Cymru
- Macrame plant hanger in rainforest green cotton cord by Kent heart-and-soul handcrafter Amanda Tamsin
- Irridescent fused glass rainbow bowl by Cambridgeshire glass artist Samphire Glass
- Traditional Mallah meditation beads by London gift magic sprinkler Nanas Witch Craft
- Boho rainbow earrings by Yorkshire fun jewellery designer TwiggyPeasticks
- Fabric fashion bag by passionate Isle of Wight recycler and bag designer extraordinaire Samm Designs
- Centre: Pillar and shell soy candle combination by Simply Sona
We can’t guarantee sales - but we can guarantee doing all we can to increase the chances. Everyone is welcome to join #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM. We’re the #giftfinder at your fingertips!
‘Sold’ signs were going up all over #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM last weekend.
Four new UK indies and creatives were added to the #UKGiftHourPower sellers list after their #giftideas were snapped up during the Twitter #shopindie showcase. Nine others have achieved repeat sales since our 2021 season got underway. The total of makers who have achieved #UKGiftAM sales now stands at 145.
Here’s a snapshot of what’s been proving irresistible to buyers (clockwise from top left):
- Heart drop earrings with hexagon and charm by Cheshire clay creator Slay With Clay Shop
- Sea turtle print wheat heat bag from Cornwall handmade homeware haven Meelie Moon
- Bugs Life nature journal stencil by eclectic Nottinghamshire crafter Spratt’s Designs
- Unique allium 3D cotton canvas and digital artwork by Yorkshire artist, photographer and designer iSeeCollections
- Hotchpotch heart bunting from fabric scraps by Yorkshire seamstress madebymeinyorkshire
- Handmade gilet with pixie hood by Berkshire children’s clothes maker Happy Hedgehog Designs
- Niche and playful greetings cards by fun London artist Dippyfish Cards
- Wooden ginger jar by Yorkshire wood specialist Davenports Handmade
- Centre: Miniature rare breed sheep with diamante headdress from the hand-sculpted felted herd created in Kent by Mini Motley Sanctuary
We can’t guarantee sales - but we can guarantee doing all we can to increase the chances. You’re always welcome to join UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday morning from 9am-midday. We’re the giftfinder at your fingertips!
We promised you more Valentines Day highlights from our special #lovegiftsday theme on #UKGiftAM and here they are!
UK indies and creatives put their hearts into coming up with original and thoughtful gift ideas on our weekend Twitter #shopindie showcase but we’re aware time is now becoming tight – so if you’re interested in following up, please check with them that the gifts are still available and can be received on time.
Clockwise (from top left):
- Hand-painted hare heart hanging wooden ornament from Edinburgh wood, slate and stone star Elbri Crafts
- Nautical love boat from Suffolk maker of unique fabric and wooden gifts Rachel Pettitt Designs
- Fragrant gift sachet in lavender or rose petals – that's a fox terrier holding the love letter - from Wiltshire vintage illustrator printer The Blueberry Patch
- Sterling silver outline looped heart necklace with cubic zirconia gems from Yorkshire independent family-run jewellery business Serenity Star
- Pack of four natural wood pencils with love inspired quotes from Edinburgh pencil funster Pencil Pencil
- Grey hare heart plate with love candles from Cheshire family-run online bunny-inspired gift store Cotton Tail Gifts
- Handmade poppy ring bowl in deep red glaze from South Wales ceramicist Coop Ceramics
- Wall trio of ceramic flying swans from London furniture designer JSD Designs who told us ‘swans are known for mating for life, signifying fidelity and commitment’
- Centre: Latin love quote skulls brooch – ‘Semper Fidelis’ means ‘Always Loyal’ – from distinctive Derbyshire jewellery designer Perfidious Jewellery
You’re always welcome to join UKGiftHour UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday from 9am-midday. We’re the #supportsmallbusiness giftfinder at your fingertips!
Encouraging signs of new hope sprang up on our Twitter #shopindie showcase #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM on the last weekend of January.
They burst open in the shape of symbolic snowdrops from our UK indies and creatives.
Entirely appropriate as the first and second days of February are the beginning of Imbolc (also known as Candlemas), a traditional Celtic celebration of returning light as we reach the halfway point between winter solstice and the spring equinox.
In other words, spring is on its way!
These makers beautifully illustrated the appeal and potency of snowdrops as a bringer of hope and purity (clockwise from top left):
- Sussex printmaker and artist Mega Lily Design with an intricate and distinctive ‘Snowdrops’ linocut print;
- Devon stained glass artist Lymelight Glass Studio with a brightly textured snowdrops stained glass suncatcher;
- Suffolk watercolour artist Kay Lacey Watercolours with her ‘First Snowdrops’ painting in alternative colour palette;
- Perthshire artist MLS Paintings with a greeting card based on one of her original paintings to depict how “snowdrops remind us beauty and life will return”;
- Edinburgh artist Morvenna with a characteristic twist on the tradition – a card featuring her illustration of a snowdrop fairy
Here’s hoping Imbolc brings you all warmth and strength.
You aren’t signed in to our site right now. Sign in or create an account here for access to 365 days of gift ideas.
Keep up to date with latest tips, offers and inspiration – join our mailing list.
- May 2021 (3 entries)
- April 2021 (1 entry)
- March 2021 (2 entries)
- February 2021 (4 entries)
- January 2021 (1 entry)
- November 2020 (2 entries)
- October 2020 (1 entry)
- August 2020 (2 entries)
- July 2020 (3 entries)
- June 2020 (1 entry)
- May 2020 (1 entry)
- April 2020 (1 entry)
- March 2020 (1 entry)
- February 2020 (3 entries)
- January 2020 (1 entry)
- November 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2019 (2 entries)
- September 2019 (2 entries)
- August 2019 (2 entries)
- July 2019 (2 entries)
- April 2019 (1 entry)
- March 2019 (1 entry)
- February 2019 (3 entries)
- January 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2018 (2 entries)
- September 2018 (4 entries)
- August 2018 (3 entries)
- March 2018 (1 entry)
- February 2018 (3 entries)
- January 2018 (1 entry)
- December 2017 (1 entry)
- November 2017 (2 entries)
- October 2017 (7 entries)
- September 2017 (4 entries)
- August 2017 (2 entries)
- July 2017 (2 entries)
- June 2017 (1 entry)