Presents of Mind blog
Encouraging signs of new hope sprang up on our Twitter #shopindie showcase #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM on the last weekend of January.
They burst open in the shape of symbolic snowdrops from our UK indies and creatives.
Entirely appropriate as the first and second days of February are the beginning of Imbolc (also known as Candlemas), a traditional Celtic celebration of returning light as we reach the halfway point between winter solstice and the spring equinox.
In other words, spring is on its way!
These makers beautifully illustrated the appeal and potency of snowdrops as a bringer of hope and purity (clockwise from top left):
- Sussex printmaker and artist Mega Lily Design with an intricate and distinctive ‘Snowdrops’ linocut print;
- Devon stained glass artist Lymelight Glass Studio with a brightly textured snowdrops stained glass suncatcher;
- Suffolk watercolour artist Kay Lacey Watercolours with her ‘First Snowdrops’ painting in alternative colour palette;
- Perthshire artist MLS Paintings with a greeting card based on one of her original paintings to depict how “snowdrops remind us beauty and life will return”;
- Edinburgh artist Morvenna with a characteristic twist on the tradition – a card featuring her illustration of a snowdrop fairy
Here’s hoping Imbolc brings you all warmth and strength.
UK indies and creatives will sweep you off your feet with their heart-warming gift ideas for Valentines Day.
They rose to the occasion of #lovegiftsday on the Twitter #shopindie showcase #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM last weekend – so much so that this will be just the first in a series of blog highlights from a day of loving gift inspiration.
Clockwise (from top left):
- Be all heart with a heart-shaped candle and heart wax-melts in a letterbox gift set from Oxfordshire handmade scented candles centre The Magick Cauldron
- Show your Valentine how they’ve stolen your heart with an anatomical crochet heart in a jar from Cambridge yarn virtuoso LilFluffyCrafts
- Declare yourselves a pair of love birds with handmade pottery doves from Welsh ceramic and silver designer Sally Jane Originals
- There’s only one heart in rainbow colours available from London handmade tatted lace principal Tatting TatsRight – which makes it perfect for ‘the one’
- If you bee-long together, celebrate it with this hand-drawn ceramic coaster from Hampshire wood handcraft homemaker LouLou & Reg
- Rose quartz is the stone of love so these crystals from the spellbinding Manifestation & Magic make an ideal gift set of love, especially as it can be personalised
- Your Valentine won’t think they’ve had enough of silly love songs if they receive a framed seven-inch love song vinyl from London creator of cards and eclectic artwork Lorna Kyle Cards
- Know someone dreamy? Capture them with this stunning fused glass feather dreamcatcher from Wiltshire glass artist Helen Matthews Glass
- Centre – A buyer couldn’t wait to say ‘you’re mine’ to this wood slice coaster hand burnt with a love bird design from Yorkshire designer and pyrographer Wooden You Love, meaning a #shopindie sale and another case of #UKGiftHourPower
You’re always welcome to join UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday morning from 9am-midday. We’re the #supportsmallbusiness #giftfinder at your fingertips!
Appeals to shop early with online UK indies and creatives for Christmas are bringing stirring cases of #UKGiftHourPower.
More UK makers racked up sales of gift ideas on the Twitter #supportsmallbusiness showcase #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM last weekend - taking the total number up to 135.
Some of the latest additions to the #UKGiftHourPower sellers list are featured here along with creatives who are regularly achieving repeat sales.
The ‘sold’ sign went up on (clockwise from top left):
- Face masks in glowing Autumn colours by Wye Valley and Forest of Dean gifts and homewares house Poody and Berty
- Reclaimed wood keepsake hearts by MJAWood – the East Sussex wood artist sold four
- Puffin ring dishes by Shropshire artist and photographer CW Photo Art – she’s been busy producing more after three were quickly snapped up
- Christmas designs from the lifestyle collection of Edinburgh artist Morvenna – not least her popular Christmas mouse card
- Lavender pouches by West Midlands textile and remembrance gift care provider JustSewHelen - we mentioned these in our lockdown hugs blog but what we failed to mention was that she had three sales of them
- Handmade face masks in Japanese fabric by London artist Paul Simon Art Shop
- A set of four handmade cards of the Isle of Harris in Scotland by Leeds artist Cards by Mormorjan
- Delectable ‘doggo’ design T-shirt by Wiltshire artist and furry friend fanatic Made by Harriet
- Centre – mince pie Christmas decorations fashioned from clay by Birmingham crockery virtuoso Sarah's Craft Plates
Be sure to come along to UKGIftHour UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday morning from 9am-midday – where more than 700 indies and creatives gather together at the same time to display original, thoughtful and meaningful gift ideas. We’re the #shopindie giftfinder at your fingertips!
If you’re missing hugs in this lockdown age, caring UK indies and creatives can make up for it!
They showed #UKGiftHour #UKGIftAM last weekend how to embrace the circumstances and turn it around with the gift of #letterboxfriendly hugs.
So wrap your arms around your socially distanced loved ones and show them how you’re thinking of them with this warming choice (clockwise from top left):
- Sterling silver adjustable hug ring from Warwickshire family gift house The Little Gift Hive
- Hand-sewn pocket hug from top-notch London embroiderer PrettyHopsAndJumps
- Stamped metal pocket hug keepsake from Lancashire crafts ace The Dolly Bird
- Heart-shaped Christmas hug pebble from Manchester memory maker Pebbles4Thought
- Felt Christmas pocket hug from Derby sewing star Cosy Felt Creations
- Virtual hugs with stirring words from establishment challengers AgendaBenderBadges
- Hand-burnt kindness wooden pebbles from West Yorkshire pyrography masters Wooden You Love
- Hand-painted rainbow heart pocket hug from colourful Colchester designer and illustrator Iced Rainbow
- Centre – Hugs lavender pouches from West Midlands textile keepsakes and remembrance gift care provider JustSewHelen
Support small business and #shopindie #shopearly for Christmas gifts with #UKGIftHour #UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday from 9am-midday – we’re the shopindie giftfinder at your fingertips!
When you've got more than 300 UK indies and creatives in the same place at the same time - and it trends at No2 on Twitter - then #UKGiftHour #UKGiftAM is a great place to be for imaginative and thoughtful gift ideas.
And while it’s by no means the only hashtag hour that generates sales for makers and small businesses, 30 indies and creatives reported sales during its weekend sessions since September - 12 for the first time, enabling them to the #UKGiftHourPower sellers list which now stands at 131.
Here's a selection of the latest gift ideas that have been snapped up (clockwise from top left):
- Handmade yarn bowl by Lincoln wood and ceramic designers Ashes and Oak Creations
- Christmas tree decorations by Sheffield craft and crochet creator Crafty Cactus Gifts
- Handmade ring dishes by Shropshire artist and photographer CW Photo Art
- Fused glass snowflake Christmas decoration by Peterborough glass artist Samphire Glass
- Woof scarves by South East knitwear queen Granny's Fireside
- Creams, oils, serums, scrubs and shampoos from award-winning natural skincare and wellness practitioner Natura Emporium
- Oak pen repurposed from an old whisky cask by Cornwall woodturner and jewellery designer Raven Handcrafted
- Five-piece Christmas Russian doll set with Santa, snowman and Christmas tree from Chesterfield craft kit czars Krasnaya Crafts
- Centre – ‘Fox in the Trees’ nature-inspired Christmas decoration by Suffolk maker of unique fabric and wooden gifts, Rachel Pettitt Designs
With Christmas coming up, #shopindie and #shopearly with UK indies and creatives. Starting with UKGIftHour UKGiftAM on Twitter every Saturday and Sunday from 9am-noon – we’re the shopindie #giftfinder at your fingertips!
You aren’t signed in to our site right now. Sign in or create an account here for access to 365 days of gift ideas.
Keep up to date with latest tips, offers and inspiration – join our mailing list.
- March 2021 (2 entries)
- February 2021 (4 entries)
- January 2021 (1 entry)
- November 2020 (2 entries)
- October 2020 (1 entry)
- August 2020 (2 entries)
- July 2020 (3 entries)
- June 2020 (1 entry)
- May 2020 (1 entry)
- April 2020 (1 entry)
- March 2020 (1 entry)
- February 2020 (3 entries)
- January 2020 (1 entry)
- November 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2019 (2 entries)
- September 2019 (2 entries)
- August 2019 (2 entries)
- July 2019 (2 entries)
- April 2019 (1 entry)
- March 2019 (1 entry)
- February 2019 (3 entries)
- January 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2018 (2 entries)
- September 2018 (4 entries)
- August 2018 (3 entries)
- March 2018 (1 entry)
- February 2018 (3 entries)
- January 2018 (1 entry)
- December 2017 (1 entry)
- November 2017 (2 entries)
- October 2017 (7 entries)
- September 2017 (4 entries)
- August 2017 (2 entries)
- July 2017 (2 entries)
- June 2017 (1 entry)