Presents of Mind blog
indie businesses chart new way ahead
UK creative and independent designers and craftspeople are rising to the challenge of progressing in today’s mass-manufactured and competitive marketplaces.
They’re establishing a stronger platform and louder voice by sharing ideas, skills and resources in collaborations and collectives.
One such initiative – an enterprising link-up between Nottinghamshire craft house Spratt’s Designs and South Wales outdoor gifts specialists Adventure Accessories – made a big impact on Twitter after its launch on the top-trending weekend hashtag hour #UKGiftHour.
The two businesses joined forces to produce a traveller notebook and activity stencils set, (pictured above) a 40-page A6 journal with cork fabric cover and accompanying activity shapes enabling buyers to plan and record trips and adventures.
Saz Spratt of Spratt Designs created the special adventure stencil and Sarah Skilton of Adventure Accessories adapted her notebook designs to incorporate it.
“The set has three options with the notebook – the bookmark stencil, an A6 'page-size' stencil or both stencils together,” Sarah explained. “We have sold a full set with both stencils and Saz has sold the stencils separately too.”
The promotional video about the set has now received over 15,700 views.
“The decision to team up was logical one,” Saz added. “We both make products that work well together. By joining forces, we felt we could increase the reach of our small business and double the promoting efforts.”
Both agreed that good communication is key to a successful collaboration. ”When we decided to make a go of working together, we got to know each other a little better – what did we like most about our business, what did each of us think our strengths were and what did we like least,” Sarah said. “For me, photography is my weakness, but I enjoy blogging and social media.”
So Saz created the launch video and took charge of product photography. Both created the wording for the listings because, Sarah explained, “SEO does not like duplicate exact matches - and being able to use each other’s keeps the adverts and promotions fresh.”
The idea to collaborate grew out of Instagram’s #MarchMeetTheMaker promotion, which asked participants to name who they would like to work with.
Sarah and Saz already knew each other from Twitter chat hours – and indeed had bought from each other – when Saz “half-jokingly” responded that it would be fun to combine her stencils with Adventure Accessories notebooks.
“I replied this was an awesome idea and that is was something we could look at together,” Sarah said. “We started messaging on Twitter which quickly became a couple of emails and then Saz created a WhatsApp conversation at the beginning of April. We now message each other several times a day.
“Not only have we created a great product together we have also formed a lasting friendship.”
• Sarah Skilton (above) created Adventure Accessories in 2018. A small creative handmade business based in Carmarthenshire, South Wales, it combines a passion for adventure with a love of crafts. Sarah helps you to reconnect with nature and find unique handmade gifts for outdoors; with inspiration and ideas for everyday expeditions. www.AdventureAccessories.co.uk
• Saz Spratt (above - working on another of her designs) started Spratt’s Designs in 2014 when she was medically retired from mainstream work. She was not prepared to do nothing. Starting with relearning skills she was taught and gained while training and working as a stage manager, Saz has been able to add gold leafing, graphic design and traditional painting skills to the wide range of crafts she loves to make. www.spratt-designs.com
• #UKGiftHour is a top-trending Twitter weekend hashtag hour which showcases original and thoughtful gift ideas from UK independent makers and creatives. Creator David Knight, a former journalist, also set up the gift ideas referral website Presents of Mind, which matches gift suggestions from indies and creatives to the firsts and fame of each and every day of the year. www.presentsofmind.co.uk
Share this page …
Comments: 2 (Add)
You aren’t signed in to our site right now. Sign in or create an account here for access to 365 days of gift ideas.
Keep up to date with latest tips, offers and inspiration – join our mailing list.
- May 2021 (3 entries)
- April 2021 (1 entry)
- March 2021 (2 entries)
- February 2021 (4 entries)
- January 2021 (1 entry)
- November 2020 (2 entries)
- October 2020 (1 entry)
- August 2020 (2 entries)
- July 2020 (3 entries)
- June 2020 (1 entry)
- May 2020 (1 entry)
- April 2020 (1 entry)
- March 2020 (1 entry)
- February 2020 (3 entries)
- January 2020 (1 entry)
- November 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2019 (2 entries)
- September 2019 (2 entries)
- August 2019 (2 entries)
- July 2019 (2 entries)
- April 2019 (1 entry)
- March 2019 (1 entry)
- February 2019 (3 entries)
- January 2019 (1 entry)
- October 2018 (2 entries)
- September 2018 (4 entries)
- August 2018 (3 entries)
- March 2018 (1 entry)
- February 2018 (3 entries)
- January 2018 (1 entry)
- December 2017 (1 entry)
- November 2017 (2 entries)
- October 2017 (7 entries)
- September 2017 (4 entries)
- August 2017 (2 entries)
- July 2017 (2 entries)
- June 2017 (1 entry)